Wednesday, February 21, 2007

It sucked to be me - last night

I've often been told that embarrassing situations in your life make you stronger.

At least that's what I'm telling myself today after what happened to me following last night's hockey game at Prospera Place.

Feeling good about the Rockets 4-1 win, I left the arena in good spirits with the knowledge that the hockey club had a bit more breathing room in the fight for the final playoff spot.

As I turned the corner and walked towards the parking lot, I looked ahead to see my lovely Mazda 3 sitting.......what the heck, where did it go?

It's gone!

My blood pressure increased, the palms of my hands started to sweat and my mind started racing as to where my car may have gone.

Did I not park it here like I normally do? Is someone playing a joke on me?

I looked at the signage in front of the building where I parked my car and it say's 'authorized parking for those using mall businesses' - Your car will be towed away at the owners expense. No exceptions'.

Gulp!

Oh sure I saw the sign, but did I heed the warning? They don't actually tow cars away after 5 p.m, do they?

I can now tell you..they do!

I start mumbling to myself, "Ok I have no car, I need to find it."

I call the towing company who tells me where it is, but now I need someone to drive me there to pick it up.

The good news is my 'best buddy' (I use that loosely now) David Michaud lives a block from the rink, I'll get him to give me a lift.

I call his cell phone.
Nothing!
I go to his apartment.
Nothing.
He isn't answering his apartment phone either.

Oh that's right he is likely with his girlfriend, someone he can't be away from for more that 15 minutes.

Ok I sound bitter at Michaud don't I?

I am!

"Who else can I call at 10:30 at night"?

I have the cell phone number of Rockets Head Coach Jeff Truitt.

Fortunately for me, Truitt was just a block away from the rink heading home when he received my distress call.

Truitt picked me up, drove me to the location where my car had been towed, and because I had no cash on me at the time, used his own credit card so I could get my car released.

How much was the bill?

85 bucks!

Am I bitter about the business that called the towing company to have my car hauled away?

Absolutely.

Am I sour that I had to dish out 85 bucks?

Oh...Ya!

I could get nasty by telling everyone to boycott every business in that strip mall behind Prospera Place because they are cruel people who take great pleasure in bring pain to others.

But I won't because it's not a nice thing to do.

It would be about as nasty as someone waiting for the perfect chance to pounce on a victim, call up a towing company, and laugh as the victims vehicle is towed into purgatory.

6 comments:

David's Color Comments said...

You have seen what my girlfriend looks like...would you be away from her any longer than you have to? Reading the sign is the first step...respecting the sign is the second step!

Regan Bartel said...

I have learned many things after getting my car towed.
1) Respect the posted signs
2) Carry a wallet
3) Don't count on my partner in the broadcast booth to help me out when in distress.

Doyle said...

Being a journalist, you should know better than to rely on someone who makes his living from advertising when it comes to crunch time. Besides, doesn't David's cellphone have call display?
Shame, David, shame; one of the rules of manhood is to never ditch a buddy in a time of need.
Besides, do you comprehend how truly chained up you are?
Regardless, Regs, I would have been there for you had Jeff not bailed you out.

David's Color Comments said...

The only reason you Journalist's earn a living is because of the hard earned advertising dollars people in my proud profession bring into Radio Stations and Newspapers around the globe.

Doyle said...

It's journalists with an s when indicating pluralism, not with an apostrophe and s, which indicates possession. That's the grammar tip of the day.
As for advertising carrying journalism, that's good one. LOL. When was the last time you picked up an ADSpaper? Or listened to a radio station strictly for its ads?
By the way, my well-dressed friend, you're avoiding the question. Just where were you in Regan's time of need?

David's Color Comments said...

Oh...I'm sorry...I thought I made it clear that I was with my girlfriend!! To save a little face on this one you should know that I was no where near Prospera when he called. My phone was charging at home.

Realising now that my partner can't read signs I promise to always carry my phone!! It is good to know that he has such a good support system though!