Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Handing out the Hardware


The venue may have changed, but it was the same result when it came to watching the Kelowna Rockets.
It was a sell-out at the club's annual year-end awards banquet last night, as the team switched from wearing jersey's and lacing up skates to putting on suits and ties.

The big winner was 20 year-old Chris Ray who was named the team MVP.
Ray scored just 19 goals this season, but when he did score the Rockets were usually in the win column.
In fact the Rockets were 11-2-0-2 when Ray scored this season, with the only two losses coming against Regina and Prince George.

"I mean their were so many frustrating things that happened this year, its nice to have something positive to think of. I end the season off on a high note by getting the MVP and we won two games at the end that I think I played my best hockey ever so it was nice to end off on a positive note", Ray added .

Ray says being the 'big brother' for some of his younger teammates was a big adjustment for the 4th year Rocket.

"It was weird because I can remember being in their shoes looking up at the older guys in my days like Josh Gorges and the Brett Palin's, guys that seemed so much older than me and more mature, but I guess in a sense I was one of those guys now and the young guys look up to me".

"When I was a rookie we probably had only 5 or 6 of us, but on this team, 3/4 of this team was rookies and young guys so it was nice to be a leader and take on a bit of parent role," Ray added.

Cody Almond picked up three awards last night, as top scorer, most improved and scholastic player of the year.

James McEwan picked up the Unsung Hero award, and it couldn't have gone to a better guy.

"It's really great to be recognized for something like that.
That's just the kind of player I am. I play for my team and my teammates, you know in the room and on the ice.
I put the team first and it's special having the whole team here and my family here, it's really great getting an award like that".

McEwan admits he heard many doubters who thought he could do little to help a young team, when he made the opening day roster as one of just three 19 year old's.

"When that happened in Seattle where I got released, I wasn't to sure what was going to happen. I had confidence in myself that I could be a player in this league with whatever team I went to."

"You know it's always been a dream of mine to play for the Rockets, because this my hometown and I've watched them, so when I got the call from the Rockets,I was just thrilled.
I would be stupid to pass up that opportunity, and it's a dream come true. It may sound like a cliche saying that, but it really has, and I couldn't ask for anything else." McEwan added.

The suggestion has been made that McEwan could be the team's next captain?

"It's nice to hear guys that they look up to me, and see me as a leader. That's what I see myself as too, but it doesn't matter if I have a letter on my jersey or not, I'm just going to go out and do what I'm doing and be the same type of player I am and put the team first."

Tyler Myers was named the team's top rookie.
Myers, a 16 year-old 1st round pick of the Rockets from the 2005 W.H.L bantam draft, played a big role with the team this season, and was named the captain of Team Alberta that won a Bronze medal at the Canadian Winter Games.

Luke Schenn was voted the teams top defenseman, while Colin Long was named the most sportsmanlike.

Lucas Bloodoff was named the top defensive forward.
The Rockets acquired Bloodoff's rights from the Tri City Americans this past summer meaning the Rockets do not have a 3rd round pick in next months draft.

Evan Bloodoff was named the teams top plus/minus winner, while Kristofer Westblom was given the Humanitarian of the Year award.

Regan's Ramblings:

*You heard it here first.
Rockets Head Coach Jeff Truitt will be involved in a significant announcement Tuesday.

No-no he's not getting fired.

I will post the news when I get the blessing from the proper authorities, but for now I have been sworn to secrecy.

*The awards winners are selected mainly by Bruce and Gavin Hamilton. While the coaches have some minor input, the GM and VP of Business Development are in charge.
*It was nice to see Dr. Murray Smith from Edmonton at the awards ceremony last night.
Dr. Smith is the teams sports Psychologist, and meets with the players during their exit meetings to see what their mindset is heading into the summer, and the expectations they have for the upcoming season.

*Even Kelowna Mayor Sharon Shepperd made an appearance at the awards banquet last night. Whether she has been to a Rockets game this season is anyones guess? For all I know she's a season ticket holder?

*In one of several video's shown during last night's awards banquet, Colin Joe did a fairly decent impression of me when he conducted a comical interview with teammate Clayton Barthel.
My wife sitting next to me thought it was funny.

*How serious are the Rockets taking the upcoming W.H.L bantam draft? Head Scout Lorne Frey didn't attend the banquet. He's out scouting as the Rockets anticipate no less than a top 3 pick in next month's draft.

*Chris Ray is looking at several options now that his season has come to an end. Ray says one includes joining the Victoria Salmon Kings for the remainder of the season. Ray is also considering Canadian University next season, liking playing out East.

*It was a night where everyone was dressed to the 9's, even the Prospera Place ice crew. When I walked in the door I almost couldn't recognize half of them because they didn't have their Kelowna Rockets track suits on.

No comments: