Thursday, April 12, 2007

Coming to Blows between Radio Guy and Writer/ I felt like a Giant

Things are starting to get nasty between my fellow radio buddy Jon Keen in Swift Current and the writer from ESPN.
If you regularly read this blog you will know about this sports writer who took shots at the city of Swift Current and the Broncos organization in an on-line article this week.

At one point it looked like the ESPN writer wanted to dance with Keen as the two appear destined to chuck the knuckles when they meet June 22nd at the NHL draft.
Honestly it sounded like the ESPN guy wanted to challenge Keen to a fist fight!

While it appears to be a heated discussion at Keen's blog http://www.jonkeen.blogspot.com/ I think it's best for both to cool their heels a little bit here.
I was upset over what came out in the article as a former Swift Current resident, but I think both Keen and the writer (who I don't even care to name) have both expressed their opinions.
It provided for great debate - a little verbal sparing - but I think it's time for those two to agree to disagree and move on.
If anything more is said it will only provide for more regret and embarrassment should they meet down the road.

My money is on Keen if they fight though. Those kids from Lanigan are tough buggers. But Keener watch out for the ESPN writer, he has extremly strong fingers from typing and may try to poke you in the eye.
_____________________

Congrats to the Prince George Cougars for getting back in the series with the Tips.
Outstanding, especially without Eric Hunter who is lost for the season with a broken ankle.
This is turning out to be a better series than many had envisioned including me, but the Cougars have shown gut's and character and are full marks for sending this series into a best of three.

I didn't like the move the Cougars coaches made by starting Scott Bowles in game one against the Tips, but they've gone back to Real Cyr - who was splendid in the opening round against Kamloops - and the move has paid off.
It appears from this outsider that the Cougars are playing a little harder with Cyr between the pipes.

Nice job by the Cougars faithful to get behind the team with over 51 hundred taking in game 4. Hop on the bandwagon, I am sure there is room for everyone.
While it's shy of capacity, it's a step in the right direction.
__________________________

Just because I moved to BC six years ago does not make me a Canucks fan.
Infact I hate them.
Oh, I forgot my mom always told me never to say hate!
Hate is to harsh.
I dislike the Canucks greatly.
That's better!
To see them falter against the Stars would make me a happy man.
I see so many want-to-be Canuck fans when things are going well, yet they s**t on them when they struggle.
I guess you could call them fair-weather fans.
It's those type that make me sick!
How can you tell I'm not a Canucks fan?
As I am typing the two teams are in the second overtime.
_________________________

Who was that sharp dressed man on Shaw cable's WHL telecast last night?
Andy Kemper I couldn't recognize you!
Kemper is the Portland Winter Hawks colorman, and is joining Shaw as an on-ice host for the games down in Seattle.
Andy I like the suit.
I usually don't see you that dressed up when I make my regular two stops in Portland over the course of the regular season.
I thought you were going to a funeral?
I still think you are like the majority of us and have a face for radio, but it was still nice to see your smiling face on TV.
__________________

Did I hear on Shaw's broadcast last night Billy Willms say 'We have a 3-1 series lead"?
The key word was 'WE'.
Billy, it slipped.
Willms is normally the Giants colorman on radio broadcasts during the season, but has jumped on the Shaw ship for televised games.

_________________

I had to laugh at a 3rd period comment from Harry Neale on last night's Canucks/Stars telecast. Jim Hughson was doing the play-by-play and said to Harry, "Oh my Markus Naslund is playing hard tonight Harry".
Neale responded by saying, "Ya he sure is".
That was it!!
Hello Harry, did you miss your afternoon nap?
Brutal comment from one of CBC's go-to-guys when it comes to sitting in the color chair.
Thank God they didn't have Bob Cole doing the play-by-play or we would have been in big trouble.
For all Cole knows, the Leafs may be in the playoffs?

_____________________

I am sitting here writing my blog in a hotel in Surrey.
My wife and kids are in bed (it's 10 pm) so I'd thought I'd come down to the hotel office centre and update the blog.
What can I say, I'm faithful to this thing....that, or stupid?
Don't answer that!!

Today we went into what was suppose to be a grocery store to pick up some buns and meat for tomorrow's lunch as we visit the Vancouver Aquarium.
We stumble into a grocery store which turns out to be an oriental grocery store.
Everything is labelled in what appears to be Chinese. All the employees are Chinese - or are of Asia decent - and frankly all the customers are Asian.

Talk about feeling like a fish out of water!

I asked a staff member - who's Asian - if they had a deli.
He had no clue what I was talking about.
"Forget it, I'll find it myself", as I walked away in disgust.
I found a lot of sushi though.

While the experience may sound bad, it really wasn't. I felt like Arnold Schwarzenegger in there. I am only 5'9 and 180 pounds, but I was a giant among men passing alongside the employees and customers.
I towered over everybody! I have never experienced that before, excluding a talk I did with a class of kindergarden kids about being a radio announcer.

I may just got back tomorrow for another boost of self esteem.

9 comments:

Jared Comeau said...

Well Regan...Your a devout Blogger and It was fun reading an entry at midnight haha. I have to completely agree with you in regards to the canucks. What can I say. GO FLAMES!!!

Anonymous said...

Ah Regan, that is some funny stuff about the ESPN writters and having strong fingers. Your a funny guy, and it's good to have you on our team. I work with Keener at the station, and he's a tough contender. That Big Bare Stare from ESPN, he's in over his head I think, who knows? I just know that between Keener and Switze, some sharp tounges lurk around here.

Anonymous said...

* Sorry, Big Gare Stare, not Bare.

Andy Kemper said...

Hey Regan...with the way the Giants handled Seattle in the two games...it felt like a funeral!

As far as the attire goes...I told Scooter when I took the job as color guy in Portland there was only one rule - no ties. That lasted until this year when we started doing more TV games...and I'd rather be heard than seen, ya know!

I'll probably be on more Shaw broadcasts as the series move along.

Jared Comeau said...

Hey Mr Kemper. I must say, after watching many Rockets vs Winterhawks games via internet, and listen to you and Scooter, you guys are a VERY close second for League PBP team right behind Regan and david...although i do have a bit of a Bias haha...

lovintherockets said...

Hey Regan....
Glad you are not a bandwagoner, some of us have loved the Canucks since Bob Dailey was drafted by them ...how many years ago was that? But like alot of sports fans, they come out of the woodwork when things are good and do not appear when the club is not in first place. Hey, even some of us Rockets fans travel to watch the boys play first place, last place it does not matter. Maybe I will move over a little so you can put your "Giant" stature beside me in May, maybe we could have a couple of "wobblies" and watch some Vancouver hockey.

Lovin the Blog...way to keep it going.

Switzer said...

I laughed so hard I cried at the "asian" story.

Thanks for the chuckle. They miss you at the Golden Garden.

Regan Bartel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Regan Bartel said...

I love Golden Garden.
I took my wife there on our very first date.
It may have been the dim lighting in there, but I think she fell in love with my good looks that night?
Or she may have been wowed on the 3 by 4 foot dance floor with some of my moves I learned at the Beatty Junior High sock hop?
The problem I had with the place was the big wooded black door leading into the restaurant.
I wanted to let her go before me, so I attempted to open it only to fail on several attempts.
Plus each table was about a foot apart so intimate conversation was kept to a minimum.
I told her I thought she was beautiful, and the guy sitting at the next table across from me stands up and asked me to a fist fight.
I calmed him down by offering him some chinese tea.
Oh the memories of Chinese food in Swifty!!!