Saturday, May 26, 2007

An All WHL Memorial Cup/Moffatt Moves to Michigan


We got our wish!
It's an all Western Hockey League final at the Memorial Cup.
For the 11th time this season the Tigers and Giants will meet in the one game showdown Sunday to decide it all.
Once again I'm calling Vancouver to win this thing.
I am just hoping it's an entertaining game and not the chess match we saw in the round robin between these two teams.
I will admit it's awfully impressive that the two WHL teams are meeting for major juniors top prize.
Honestly I don't care who wins the game, as long as they both showcase their true talents as two exceptionally strong hockey clubs.
By my recollection, the last time two WHL teams met in the final was 1989 when the Swift Current Broncos beat the host Saskatoon Blades in overtime.
__________________________________

It looks like Kelowna Rockets prospect Luke Moffatt will be playing this season in Michigan.
Moffatt will be playing midget hockey with a team called Compuware Midget Minor.
Rockets fans will be able to see Moffatt up close this fall during the teams rookie camp at Prospera Place.
Thanks Andy for researching into that!
________________________________

The NHL draft is next month in Columbus and the only Kelowna Rockets player with a legitimate shot of hearing his name called is Torrie Jung.
Jung is rated 24th of North American goaltenders for the draft.
Cody Almond and Lucas Bloodoff have chances of being drafted but would be late picks at best. Neither is even rated by NHL Central Scouting.
________________________________

Kelowna Rockets GM Bruce Hamilton is likely spending this weekend in Saskatoon watching his son Curtis participate in the Blades prospects camp.
Curtis Hamilton has a guaranteed spot on the Blades roster as a 16-year old this season and is expected to be a big piece of the puzzle when the franchise believes to have a legitimate shot of winning a Memorial Cup when Hamilton is in his 18 or 19 year old season.
Maybe that's why the Blades organization is so enthused about earning the right to host the Memorial Cup in 2010.
The timing couldn't be more right.

________________________________

Moen vs. McAmmond!
Anahiem against Ottawa in the Stanley Cup featuring former Rocket Travis Moen against former Broncos winger Dean McCammond.
I enjoyed getting to know both of these guys during their junior days, but if I had to pick just one to hold Lord Stanley's Cup it would be Moen.
McAmmond has been to the cup finals with Calgary while Moen has never been there.
Yet while I want Moen to have success I am admittedly cheering for Ottawa in this one.
Maybe the Stanley Cup will come to the Okanagan if the Senators win?
Why you ask?
Ottawa forward Dany Heatley spends a good portion of the off season in the Okanagan and has a nice house on the waterfront on the Westside of Okanagan Lake.
_______________________________

I love a quote from Mark Parrish when a reporter came up to him trying to put a negative spin on why he scores all of his goals in the third period.
Parrish said, "I score most of my goals in the 3rd period because I don't like to lose".

4 comments:

Ryan said...

May wanna check out I.S.S ranking Reagan, # 102 may surprise you.

Regan Bartel said...

Throw me a bone Ryan! I have looked the the I.S.S site but don't see anything interesting. Unless I pay 40 bucks to get some inside information.
Give me the scoop.

Ryan said...

The Hockey News has their Draft Preview out and Almond is 102, Drayson Bowman is 101.

Regan Bartel said...

That's great. I hope both of those guys hear their name come draft day. I know teams are interest in Almond, but on the final NHLCS rankings he wasn't rated.