Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Lightning Head Scout on Torrie Jung


The Head Scout of the Tampa Bay Lightning, Jake Goertzen had these thoughts on Torrie Jung when I spoke to him earlier today.

We know Torrie Jung well. Let me ask you. What did you know about him prior to drafting him?

"We didn't see him alot because he didn't play much. But he was a highly touted goalie coming out of Cowichan Valley (BCHL). I know Scott Robinson (Cowichan coach), so we kept an eye on him. When he started playing at the end of the year, we got in to see him a couple of times. Corey Schwab, our goaltendering coach saw him and I saw him play once, and we liked what we saw".

Some say he was a gamble to take in the 7th round. Do you believe that?

"I don't think we took a chance on him. We were pretty happy that he was there in the 7th round. I think his style and the way he moves, he could have been a higher picked goalie, but he just didn't play enough. Because he came on late in the year, some scouts ignored him, but he was always on our radar."

I understand you met with Torrie prior to the draft?

"Oh ya, we went for dinner one night. He seems like a really good kid. I asked him about his future goals, what his values are and how hard he wants to work at his game. You get a gut feeling when you meet with these guys, whether they are someone you'd like do take them into your organization or not".

What would you like to see from Torrie this upcoming season in Kelowna?

"I only want one thing from him. I just want to see him play".



No comments: