Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Huska Da Man!

Ryan Huska was officially introduced today as the Kelowna Rockets head coach. Jeff Finley is the assistant coach. Both signed two year deals with a team option for a third. This is Huska's first head coaching job while Finley has no coaching experience.

Huska was informed he would get the job Sunday night, while Finley just committed Monday.

"It's nice. I am very excited about the opportunity, Huska said. "I am really looking forward to working with the guys we have in place, and working with some of these young players. I think we have the makings of a very good team, so we are all excited about this."

Do you feel fortunate that your road towards a head coaching position at this level has been a relatively short one?

"I never really expected to get a coaching opportunity here in Kelowna. I always thought, or assumed that Jeff (Truitt) would stay a few more years, or I would go somewhere else to get my first chance to become a head coach. So I am very excited it is here, and as I said earlier this is the best organization to be a part of."

With training camp just a month away, what's next?

"We have decided we will sit down on Monday, and get ourselves going. Once we get our scheduling meetings over, we can plan a few different things. With Jeff (Finley) as the assistant coach, we are very similar in the way we expect the team to play, so I'm really looking forward to working with him and getting this team to play the way we want to see them play".

With Jeff Finley, how involved do you want him to be?

"I want him to have a lot of input. He's going to be a guy who will be very good for our defenseman. He's got amazing experience, and I think even he will admit we wasn't the best defenseman in the world, but he was always good technically and he had so many tricks that he taught himself over the years that helped him play over 700 games in the NHL.He's also a fresh face, so he's going to bring some fresh ideas into the mix. I think sometimes when you have the same group around for a long period of time, you tend to recycle some of the ideas. We are expecting Jeff to bring in a lot of his ideas, and he'll be a big part right off the bat."

People questioned Jeff Truitt when he took over from Marc Habscheid. What do you say to those that question your abilities taking over from Jeff Truitt?

"I think no matter what position you are in, their will be some people who will be supportive of you and think I am the right choice, and some that won't. I think that's in every walk of life. So I think you just have to believe in your plan, believe in what you are trying to accomplish and not worry about what those nay-sayer's may be saying."

Huska's Dad and Mom were on hand for today's announcement, and let's just say they were tickled pink that their son has been handed his first head coaching job in the WHL.

What does Rockets GM Bruce Hamilton think of the new hires?

"Ryan has earned his stripes here, and he's the best guy for the job", Hamilton said. "Why I waited as long as I did shouldn't be construed as anything more than, I've been gone for three weeks at a lot of business things and holidays. In order to get Jeff (Finley) into place it took till now, because I wanted to spend some time talking to Jeff, and let Ryan meet with him so they could decide if they were going to get along and where their philosophies were and things like that. It's going to be quite the pair ".

How did Jeff Finley come into the mix as an assistant?

"I know that he has been around. I knew that when he first retired, he was interested in coaching. But I think it's important for those guys to sit around for a year, and just watch what's going on. I think he's had his eyes opened with how much time and commitment there is. He has four young kids, but to me he's going to be really good", Hamilton added. "If we have one area that we need to improve on it was on defense, and I think Jeff is so excited about working with the Schenn's, Barrie's, Myers and Bowman's of the world. And I think if Dowzak and Joe can't learn from this guy then I am not sure they are going to get any better."

Bruce you mentioned some potential new faces in your lineup for this season. Can you expand on that?

"I can't because I am in the middle of...we have an exceptional player that played college last year that I think is considering leaving. That will be a real good edition to our team. I will know in early August what his situation is. We are working away on visas for our European players and I am speaking with Calgary Flames GM Darryl Sutter about Backlund. Darryl didn't know what was going to happen with him, but if they can sign him then I think their is no doubt where they (Flames) want him to play. Darryl has told me that this (Kelowna) is where they want him next year."

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Hey Regan,
Good stuff. Ryan's a good choice. Though the same with Lauer here but something about head coaching experience. Something's up as it sounds like there might've been a falling-out. Working on who's coming to Kootenay but right now Williamson is the only and that's been put out by us! And hey, I saw your guys stuff and thought why not?

JB

Jared Comeau said...

Congrats going out to Husky for sure...Best man for the job and non more deserving!