Thursday, July 5, 2007

You Can't Handle the Truth!!!


That line was made famous by Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men.
The truth often hurts, and in today's age of Internet accessibility, information is as close as our finger tips. Some of what you read is fact, much of what you read is fiction.

As bloggers, we find ourselves only adding to the information that is already out there, negatively or positively.
I was giving fellow blogger Andy Kemper a friendly poke on his blog, asking him to update the situation on the status of Portland Winter Hawks head coach Mike Williamson, who remains without a contract.
I didn't expect Andy to answer my question, because he is in the same situation as I am.
If he leaks something to us blog readers, sure he makes us happy, but his life becomes miserable as any trust he has built up within the Hawks organization is lost.
The same holds true in Kelowna.
I can snoop around and speculate on potential candidates, but if I was to find out who the new hired gun is, and didn't keep it close to my vest, my relationship with the Rockets would be jeopardized.
I was always told 'the best kept secret is the one you keep to yourself'. I often times have to remind myself of that.
With that said, as a 'media type' for over twenty years, I simply can't just look away or overlook the obvious.
As a reporter, you still have a natural instinct to ask questions, and find the truth.
Why was Luke Schenn's younger brother not at the Brandon Wheat Kings prospects camp? Do I find out why, or do I bury my head in the sand?
The Penticton Vees send out a press release saying Bruno Campese has resigned as the teams head coach. As a reporter do I question why, or find out where he is going? Or do I play the nice guy card, concerned that I may ruffle a few feathers? Troy Mick resigns. Where is he going? My first instinct is to find out why.
Even as a broadcaster of a WHL team, with honesty comes credibility. Sure some issues within the team you are broadcasting for just can't be touched, but the day I stop asking the hard questions for the fear that I may upset someone, is the day I should hang up the headset.

1 comment:

Andy Kemper said...

Ah, but the truth in that movie landed Nicholson's character in the brig.

"Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom."

Blogging certainly isn't that important, eh?