Sunday, September 30, 2007

It Wasn't Even Close

  • Saturday night's 5-0 loss in Vancouver wasn't even close. The Rockets simply didn't show up to play in this one. I will give the Giants credit for a solid effort, but that was not the same team I saw Friday night in Everett. Where was the battle level? Where was the intensity? Where was the creativity? The only thing I saw was goaltenders Kristofer Westblom and Torrie Jung doing everything in their power to keep the game respectable.
  • Where were the difference makers? If I am a 19 year-old, in what way did I contribute to the cause? If I'm 16, I'm shaking in my boots playing infront of 12 thousand fans against a Giants team that plays pressure hockey. But if I'm an older, experienced player, should I not look in the mirror and ask myself what kind of contribution did I make?.
  • The Rockets two best players outside of the goaltenders? Colin Long and Evan Bloodoff. Long appeared to be hungry for the puck, and wanted to battle. The younger Bloodoff again showed good energy, unfortunately many of his teammates didn't follow his lead.
  • The 5-0 loss to the Giants brought back bad memories of a game between the two teams last season where the Rockets lost 4-0. The Rockets were out-shot 34-13 in that game. Or was it the game in early February, where the Rockets lost 7-0, again in Vancouver, and were outshot 47-11? This time the Rockets were not only shut-out, but managed just 9 shots on goal. By comparison, the Rockets were held to 11 shots on goal three times last season. Once by the Giants, Everett and Kamloops.
  • The Rockets played without captain James McEwan (groin), and Cody Almond (healthy scratch). McEwan would have made a difference in this one with his never say die attitude, but Almond's work ethic and undisciplined play of late, had him sitting on the sidelines. Oddly enough, Almond was a health scratch for a game against the Giants last season as well.
  • Luke Schenn and Giants agitator Garet Hunt got into a scrap in the game. Schenn got in some good early punches, before Hunt ended the tilt with a flurry while trying to pull the jersey over the head of Schenn. I called it a draw, but Hunt reacted like he dominated the affair. It's interesting to note that last season, Hunt fought 11 times at home and just 4 times on the road. It's easy to pick a dance partner on home ice, but much more difficult to tango on opposition ice.
  • I thought the Giants organization did a nice job in raising three banners to the rafters at Pacific Coliseum. The Giants showed a short video for each banner raised, which included BC Division Champions, Western Conference playoff pennant winners and Memorial Cup champions.
  • David and I had another great talk with Giants coach Don Hay prior to the game. Even after the interview was over, we chatted with Hay for another 10 minutes. I could talk to this guy for an hour. Hay is as personable as they come, well respected and is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Not like I need to be friends with the guy, but it sure feels nice that when the interview is over, he isn't giving you the impression that you were wasting his time.
  • I have a beef with public address announcers in this league, many of which you simply can't use on the air because they go into a major tirade when announcing their teams goals. The same can't be said in Vancouver, where John Ashbridge is one - if not the best. Sure he has a certain excitement when announcing a Giants goal, but it's professionally done. The same goes for the public address announcer in Calgary, who's first rate. I heard the Kamloops Blazers have a new p.a announcer this season. While the old guy was apparently popular, he was way to over the top to be used by a visiting broadcaster. And don't get me started on the dude from Spokane!

7 comments:

Jeff said...

Yea, the guy in Spokane makes the ears bleed. I'm not fond of Tri City either. Red Deer also has a new PA Announcer after using the same guy for many years.

Regan Bartel said...

Hey Jeff. The Tri City guy I can't even understand, and never used a p.a feed there anyway. Like I said, I am all about being excited for your team when announcing a goal, but some of the over the top antics makes me using the public address feed less and less. At one time radio broadcasters had a list of requirements they needed when calling games. This included a phone line, an internet feed so we could obtain out of town scores and a p.a feed. Let's just say the p.a feed is extremely low on my priority list with what I see happening in several rinks around the league. In most cases, even if I have access to it, I won't use it.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what your comment about Hunt picking who he fights on home ice is supposed to refer to.
Was he picking on Schenn,who out weighs him by a large margin and is six inches taller?
Hunt as you very well know will fight anyone in the league bar none. That includes Kassian from last season,McLaren and anyone else that cares to drop 'em.
For you to insinuate that he is somehow avoiding some tough guy on your roster is "ahem" rather misleading and bordering on rediculous commentary.

Regan Bartel said...

I have applauded Hunt's efforts in previous posts for taking a punch, and taking on all comers. He is a royal s**t disturber, and plays his role to perfection. I do find it interesting that he tends to drop the mitts significantly more on home ice than on the road. Don't you? Hunt is a proven fighter in this league, and Luke Schenn is anything but.If James McEwan fought the Giants best defenseman - Jonathon Blum, how would Giants fans react to that? Has Hunt ever avoided McEwan? I made no reference to that. The fact remains , McEwan has been on the winning end of battles between the two, yet Hunt comes back for more.

Jeff said...

I've only heard him (tri-City guy) over the radio while listening to rebels games on the radio while they're on the road. I found his style to be very odd to say the least. I'll confess here something, I myself am a PA announcer, but not for any WHL team, I work for a junior b team and a Senior AAA team in Alberta. A team previously coached by Brian Sutter. And do I get excited on the announcements of our goals, you bet. But not to the point where I am screaming my lungs off, and if we're playing a team where it's obvious we will run away with it, I hardly use any enthusiam. If it's a rival team, then I am more into it than normal.

I think the PA feed seems like a good thing for the listeners at home, if the goal scorer and helpers are unclear to them, unless the PBP guys make it clear. I know listening to the last Rebels game when they were on the road, they didn't use the feed.

When the Rockets come to Red Deer I assure you, you will have no problems with the Rebels new guy, not over the top at all.

How do you feel about fellow pbp guys? I think the biggest ear bleeder by far is Dave Mishkin in Tampa.

Anonymous said...

Regan,while I disagree with your take on Hunt. Its nice to discuss the dub with a pbp guy who interacts with fans. Keep it up.
BTW I really like Barrie,he's a gem!

Regan Bartel said...

Back at ya. I enjoy chatting with any one who loves the WHL. I may not agree with you, and vice versa, but I appreciate your input and your visit to the blog. Barrie is going to be a good one. As good as Blum? I hope so.
As for Hunt, he is not one dimensional. He is a good energy guy too, and Don Hay wouldn't have him if he added little to the team.