Wednesday, October 17, 2007

True or False

Question: If their is one other team in the WHL who I would like to see win the WHL title it would be the Swift Current Broncos.

Answer: True.

I have always had a soft spot for the organization, and would like nothing more for them than to succeed. It's a crying shame that the last Saskatchewan based team to win the league title were the Broncos in 1993. That's right, no Saskatchewan team has won it in 14 years. Do I think the Broncos can win it this season? They are off to a great start, and frankly doesn't head coach Dean Chynoweth deserve better? Fans had crapped on this guy since he took on the job a couple of seasons back. If I had my wish the Rockets would win the title, but if I had a second wish, the mighty Broncos get my nod. I was born there. I still have a replica Broncos jersey when the team came back to Swift Current in 1986. I saw game one, was at the funeral service at the Civic Center during that terrible tragedy, was at the first game after the accident in Moose Jaw and saw them at the little Swift Current airport in 1993 in the series with Portland in the WHL final. I was a fan. That said, when the Rockets play the Broncos this season, I want the Rockets to win!

Question: I consider the Rockets coaching staff as friends, not just business associates.

Answer: True.

I sincerely like these guys, and want nothing better for them to succeed. They face intense pressure, long hours, and are dealing with teenagers who are gifted hockey players but still need tremendous guidance. Ryan Huska and Jeff Finley are not only coaches, but dads to young children. Along with the help of Kim Dillabaugh, Kim Gellert and Ryan Cuthbert, you can't help but cheer for these guys.

Question: My favorite Rocket is Luke Schenn.

Answer: False.

Luke Schenn is my favorite defenseman, Colin Long is my favorite forward and both Torrie Jung and Kristofer Westblom are deadlocked when it comes to the goaltenders. I know it's not good for a broadcaster to have favorites, but some players you gravitate too more than others. In all four, the play on the ice has little bearing on whether they make my 'favorite list'. The personalities off the ice, and conversations I have with all four is why Schenn, Long, Westy and Jung are mentioned.

Question: I like broadcasting games at Prospera Place.

Answer: True.

The sight lines are great in the building, and the atmosphere continues to improve. It's amazing what a few wins will do. I still hate the score-clock, and the fact the Capri Insurance blimp has been seen floating in front of the broadcast booth during the play makes me sour. But other than that, Prospera Place is a great building to call a game from.

Question: I have all the answers to what woes the Rockets.

Answer: False.

Oh I wish I had all the answers, but I simply do not know the game that well. In fact, I will admit I would struggle if asked to run a Rockets practice. Yes I have played the game of hockey at the midget triple 'A' level, but that does not classify me as an expert. I simply describe what I see, and have as many questions as the fans when the team struggles. The neat part of this game is you never truly know everything about it. I am always learning.

Question: If I could be a lawyer I'd change jobs in a minute.

Answer: False.

I hope my boss doesn't read this, but think about this for a second. I get paid to watch hockey. Let's say that again. I get paid to watch hockey. Yes I open my mouth and describe what's happening, get excited every once and while, but I make a living watching a game. I am so thankful that hockey means so much in this country, that a radio station is interested in broadcasting the games and businesses are willing to sponsor the broadcast. I am not saying it's all easy street, and with broadcasting the games comes long hours, travel and late nights, but at the end of the day you couldn't pay me enough to do anything else.

Question: Would I like to take the place of one of the players in the WHL.

Answer: Yes.

To play at this elite level has to be a thrill. Playing with the best players from 16 to 20 in Western Canada/US in packed buildings (exception to the rule: see Prince George and Portland) must be a whole lot of fun. Essentially these teenagers are treated like rock stars in many communities in which they play. Sure the pressure is great, but the rewards are many. I am not sure many of them realize how lucky they are. But they will. Maybe not today, but in years to come.

5 comments:

malo72 said...

i am sure of the four you mentioned - they understand how fortunate they are today. not a day goes by they don't feel the pressures, appreciate the rewards and realize it can all be taken away in a slit second.
you on the other hand only have to worry about a bad case of laryngytis.
keep up the great work on the air and with this blog.
thanks

g.k said...

Hey Regan about that dam score clock, I agree it's an eyesore & an embarrassment to the organization, a new clock should be a priority!! RG Properties has no problem with raising all the prices at the concessions, why not give us " The Fans " who pay these astronomic prices game in & game out & who faithfully support this team year after year, something in return!! Do you not agree??

Regan Bartel said...

You are preaching to the converted g.k. The score clock is what I classify as 'bush league'. Prospera Place is a great building, but the score board doesn't match the facility. The Rockets organization is trying to bring a pro like atmosphere to the game night experience, but the score clock limits them on what they can do. And don't get me started on what's going on at Manhattan Point Restaurant.

JD said...

I couldnt agree more about RG Properties. Absolute garbage the price increases again at the concession, especially bringing in cheap, lousy beer and then charging even more for it when they are paying less. Ive talked to beer reps about what RG pays for beer and what they get that Pale Ale and 1516 for compared to their selling price is a crime.

However, the scoreclock is an even bigger issue. Us fans fill the place, buy their food and drink and yet they do nothing to make it a more enjoyable experience. Half the lights are burnt out all the time when they post out of town scores which adds to the joke. Regan, any idea how many rinks dont have a video screen?

Regan Bartel said...

I've always bought into the theory that if people will pay, the price will go up. Beer prices have gone up at Prospera Place, but I see no slowdown in the number of people purchasing. It may not be right, but like the Kelowna housing market, if people are willing to dish out the coin, the price will go up. It may not be right, but it's just the way it is. If beer consumption took a huge hit at Rockets games, the price would most certainly go down. As for the teams that don't have a video screen in the B.C Division, their is just one - Kelowna. In the Western Conference, Kelowna and if I am not mistaken the Tri Cities are the only two without video. Prince George and Portland have added the technology this season.