Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Speaking With Habscheid

(photo of Habscheid courtesy of Bob Frid)

What challenges do you see as GM and coach of the Bruins?

"I see a lot of challenges. They missed the playoffs last season. It's a young franchise so we are going to try and build some tradition and make sure we are doing things correctly. I think it's a real good hockey community with a real good facility and tremendous ownership. Glen Sather started me off in my hockey career, and he's one of the owners there, and Brian Burke and Darrell Porter has treated me well through this entire process".

With the success you've had at the junior level, many hockey fans will perceive you as a miracle worker now that you have taken the job in Chilliwack. Do you shudder when you hear that, or simply take it as a compliment?

"It's a nice compliment but you are judged game by game, so the city understands it's a process and it's not going to happen over night. But I think the most important thing is to have the foundation of surrounding yourself with good people that give you the best chance at success."

How odd will it be returning to Kelowna for the first time as the coach of the visiting team?

"I'm not going to kid you, those games when I am going to have to go on the other bench, those are going to be difficult. It's a special place. Just the memories that are there and what transpired over the time I was there....I was treated like gold in Kelowna. But you know what? I am on the other team now, so I hope they don't boo me too bad and hopefully Bruce (Hamilton) doesn't yell at me too much from the press box like he did in the old building."

Will one of the first things you do as a general manager is pull off a trade with the Rockets (laugh)?

"Maybe one day Bruce (Hamilton) and I can make a trade...hopefully I would fleece him on it, but I doubt it, but I will do my best (laugh)."

2 comments:

J.S. said...

Oh oh....Dean Clarke, now Mark Habshied..Don Hay in Van......the Rockets really will see what the young coach has learned next year without his NHL picks to ride, and three teams that will look to move up......interesting......

Boondocker said...

I just became a Bruins fan. Of course, they will always be #2 behind the Rockets.