Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Tyson Barrie Will Watch NHL Draft From Home

I gave Kelowna Rockets defenceman Tyson Barrie a phone call today to see if he was going to Montreal for this weekend's draft. Barrie says he will be sitting back and watching the opening round Friday night at home in Victoria. (4 P.M Pacific) Here is a portion of our conversation. The remainder can be heard Friday morning on AM-1150 www.am1150.ca

The suggestion that Barrie will be selected in the second or third round:

"I would love to come out of no where and be selected in the first round, but I don't know how realistic that is. I really don't have any expectations. I was touted as a possible first rounder earlier in the year, but those were very early rankings."

Tyson responds to having a high profile dad. Len Barrie is the co-owner of the NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning.

"People respect him and I've gotten this far with his help, but from here on out I want to do it on my own without going to Tampa Bay".

Regardless of what happens, Barrie says being drafted by any NHL team is an honor:

"I don't exactly think it really matters where you are taken now in the draft. I think it matters in three to five years. It's a little bit of a measuring stick now, but if you look at the record from previous drafts it's not always the top ten guys that are moving on, it's the ones who work the hardest."

For the record, Tyson's dad Len was a 6th round pick of the Oilers in 1988.

No comments: