- Four shorthanded goals in three games tells me one thing. This Rockets team is playing with a ton of confidence. When your penalty killing unit is passive, you are playing with little confidence and are almost scared to make a mistake. This Rockets team is playing anything but scared right now.
- Shane McColgan has 21 goals as a rookie. Who was the last Rockets rookie to score 25 goals? Justin Keller. Keller had 25 in 2003-2004. Two years later he was a 50 goal scorer.
- How is Travis Moen, Josh Gorges, Kyle Cumiskey, Chuck Kobasew, Luke Schenn, Tyler Myers and other former Rockets spending the Olympic break? I heard some are heading to Jamaica. Shea Weber and Duncan Keith have something else going on other than sipping rum on a sandy beach.
- I hate to see Torrie Jung's junior career ending on a sour note. The likable overage goaltender will play his final game in Kelowna tomorrow night. His team unfortunately won't make the playoffs, meaning his junior career will be over at seasons end. Jung is good enough to play pro, but I wish he could have ended his WHL days on a contending team. He likely would have been in that position had he not been a 20 year-old goalie. Face it, the market for a overage goaltending is never high. Jung was in a similar position as Rockets goaltender Mark Guggenberger at the trade deadline. While many suggested on this blog that the Rockets should have moved the veteran goalie, the interest simply wasn't there in that age bracket.
- I've always been a fan of Jung, always will. A very personable player who was always good behind the microphone. I remember the first interview I conducted with Torrie. After it was over I said to myself, this player can express himself like a pro. If he can play like one, the Rockets have a good goalie.
- I ran into several Seattle Thunderbird fans after Sunday's game at the Old Spaghetti Factory in downtown Kent. The group appeared to be impressed with the Rockets play and the collapse of the T-Birds on an overtime power play chance. As one gentlemen in the crowd of fans told me, "I wouldn't want to face your team in the opening round of the playoffs". We will see, but I agree that if this team plays up to it's potential, this is much better than just a .500 hockey club.
- I've stated on this blog that I am a bit of a germaphobe. So what happened to me in Kent before Sunday's game disturbed me. We are 45 minutes before game time and I visit the washroom for one last time. As I open the door I hear this terrible sound. No not that sound! A dude with long hair and a hat on is puking his guts out. As I attempt to do my business this guy is heaving...like really heaving. I dare not look. I have three thoughts going through my head. 1) Get my business done and get out of there as quickly as possible. 2) Why is this idiot not doing his business in the toilet? 3) How do I avoid this dude and not acquire the anthrax virus (I am assuming here) this gentleman contracted. As it turns out, he leaves the bathroom before I do. For the love of God he touched the door handle, now what do I do! What would MacGyver do? I use my right dress shoe to prop open the door and I escape from the scene without using my hands on the door handle. Nice work. As I see him walking down the hallway he starts coughing. I promptly go the opposite direction and take the extremely long way back to the broadcast booth. If this guy was the same one who made the complementary sandwiches in the scouts room, I'll be barfing my face off in about two days and all of my hard work will have gone for not.
- What is a germaphobe? It is defined as: Any person who is obsessed with cleanliness and defeating bacteria. These individuals will turn on faucets with their elbows and hand sanitize on an hourly basis. Ya, that's me.
- Why wasn't I invited to Las Vegas for WHL meetings? I would have reported back to all 22 markets for free!
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Things that make me go hmm...
- ► 2012 (236)
- ► 2011 (336)
- Weber and Keith's golden moment
- Missed chances prove costly
- Lucas leads by example
- Wudrick is money in the shootout
- Looking at the bright side
- I left Lethbridge scratching my head
- A sight for sore eyes
- Fill it up please!
- Thank heaven for....Evan
- Alberta bound, Alberta bound, it's good to be........
- Things that make me go hmm...
- Lots of shots=little reward
- Say goodbye to 17
- Why are the Portland Winterhawks so good?
- Portland Pics
- Playoff bound despite late game letdown
- Rockets clinch playoff spot despite one goal loss
- Chikie has broken collarbone
- Rockets may have lost more than just the game
- Hitmen 4 Rockets 1 Final
- Game notes vs. Hitmen
- Cody Almond interview
- Got off the phone with Cody Almond
- Rockets flavour at 2010 Olympics
- McColgan/Bulmer the next Long/Benn?
- Rockets lead now 3 points over Blazers
- Olivia Newton-John would have been proud
- Old time hockey=Rockets victory
- Behind the Mic - Bruce Luebke
- Almond makes NHL debut
- Rockets lose for first time in 10 games
- Tips 4 Rockets 0 Final
- Kyle Beach is a bobblehead
- Playoff preview?
- Habscheid knows pressure that Olympics bring
- Crowd noise in Chilliwack is indeed legit
- Better late than never?
- Brian Burke's son remembered in Chilliwack
- Eight straight, but not so great
- Rockets game notes vs. Hurricanes
- Rockets helping Haitians
- Muench on Skilliter audio
- Skilliter Update: Released from hospital
- WHL Referee Update
- Is this a candidate for the WHL Plays of the Week?...
- 7th Heaven
- I'm disappointed, is Jung?
- Rockets game notes vs. Oil Kings
- Things that make me go hmm...
- Behind the mic with Rebels voice Cam Moon
- I think I've seen everything now
- ▼ February (52)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)