Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Things that make me go hmm...

  • Nineteen year-old forward Evan Bloodoff is expected to make his 2009-2010 debut tomorrow night in Lethbridge. Having undergone knee surgery this fall, Bloodoff is expected to receive spot duty in Wednesday’s game. But like a race horse, the coaches will be hard pressed to pull back the reins on the speedy forward, who has just one gear. Outside of Brandon McMillan, no one has better speed on this team than Evan Bloodoff.
  • Dallas Jackson could also return to the lineup against the Hurricanes. The 20 year-old is an impact player and makes this team a whole lot better at both ends of the ice. His absence has not gone unnoticed.
  • Who starts in goal Wednesday night? I like both Adam Brown and Mark Guggenberger’s game right now. That said, I want to see it continue down the stretch and be difference makers. In some cases if they want to steal a game, I'll let them.
  • While the Rockets spend the majority of the day traveling to Calgary, it doesn’t mean the team will miss the Canada-Germany men’s hockey game. Satellite TV is a wonderful thing on the bus.
  • I hope to run into Cody Chikie when the team makes a stop in Edmonton Friday night. Chikie is recovering at home after breaking his collarbone against Calgary. Chikie is from nearby St. Albert.
  • I had the pleasure of being on CJOC radio’s Lethbridge Hurricanes hockey show last night with Pat Siedlecki. It was tough to concentrate though, as my attention was being diverted after my son stepped on a nail 20 minutes before I was suppose to join the show. With my cell phone in hand, I took my son to the walk-in clinic and conducted the interview while trying to answer questions from the doctor. I am not a good multi-tasker, so I am not exactly sure what I said in the interview. If I used the word ‘tetanus shot’ when describing Tyson Barrie’s success on the power play, you’ll have to forgive me.
  • I can’t count the number of times radio broadcasters from other teams have told me what a pleasure it was to interview Rockets head coach Ryan Huska. Not all, but some coaches are not exactly fun to interview. Giving little detail, being short winded and providing little small talk before the interview starts is a sure sign the coach would rather pick the lint off his pants than chat for four minutes. Huska isn’t one of those coaches, and if he indeed is, it doesn’t show. I have the pleasure of being around this coach all season long. It’s something I don’t take for granted.
  • One of assistant coach Ryan Cuthbert’s many tasks with the team is organizing meals and accommodations on the road. Cuthbert has done a great job of ‘changing it up’ when required. Sure, we have the main dishes of chicken and pasta before games, but Cuthbert is willing to mix it up to put a smile on the face of the players, coaches and the radio guy. Fajita’s on the road on an off day or after a game is never a bad choice. Cuthbert gets it. Being a player not far removed from the game, 'Cutter' knows what the boys like.
  • Hotel availability, or in this case a lack-there-of, in Lethbridge has the Rockets basing out of Calgary over the next four nights. In makes sense regardless, as it allows the players the luxury of staying in one hotel while playing three games in four nights. Once you arrive in Calgary, the travel is easy. A two hour trip to Lethbridge and a 3 hour trip to Edmonton Friday night is a breeze. The Rockets face the Hitmen Saturday night.
  • You have to love Portland’s game night presentation. Outside of the teams play, the organization is giving good reason for sports fans to attend home games. Once you get past the look inside Memorial Coliseum, the cheerleaders and the roving microphone in the stands with a caffeinated hopped up host make the games a fun place to be. It’s all about selling the game to the crowd, whether they are die hard fans or first timers looking for a good family outing. The Hawks organization know how to sell the product.
  • Last week Buffalo Sabres d-man Tyler Myers worked out with his former junior team. Myers had the luxury of spending some time in Kelowna for the Olympic break.

No comments: