Saturday, April 17, 2010

Listening ears

  • Being eliminated from the WHL playoffs gives me a chance to listen to my colleagues either in major junior, semi pro or in the National Hockey League. I've been impressed with the call of Manitoba Moose play-by-play man Brian Munz. Munz and I know each other and often swap e-mails over the course of the season, yet I don't have a chance to hear him call a game. I knew that 'Munzie' was no stiff behind the mic, but he calls a great game, as I witnessed Saturday when his team is getting shellacked in game two of a playoff series with the Hamilton Bulldogs. Those are the toughest games to call, yet Munz showed that he is a true pro by keeping it interesting without the help of a colour man. No, I am not getting royalties for this endorsement, but he's got to be knocking on the door of an NHL job down the road.
  • Former NHL goaItender Kevin Weekes surprised me. Weekes joined Hockey Night in Canada in September, and is evolving in the booth. Sure he has areas that need refining, but I like his look on camera. He's relaxed, well spoken and has a good grasp of the game. The nice thing is Weekes will only get better with more games under his belt. He's only 34.
  • I am a fan of Dean Brown. I don't know the man personally, yet the Ottawa Senators play-by-play man is getting a first round assignment with CBC calling the Sabres/Bruins series. Great voice..solid call. He won't get the big assignments nor the headlines of the Jim Hughson's of this world, but solid work by a solid play-by-play man that gets little attention out West because we simply don't hear him often. I like him.

4 comments:

MG said...

Check out awards Regan. Rocket player took three

MG said...

Correction, nominated for three

dali said...

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/CBC's_Hockey_Night_in_Canada/After_40_Minutes/ID=1471909588

cbc gives props to development of defense players by rockets, around the five minute mark

jaz301 said...

Its really awesome when Kelonwa gets mentioned like this. I have noticed the rockets being mentioned a few time on sports shows. Then again their are probably other 2 I just dont notice. (Also the Kelonwa part starts more at the 4 min mark)