Friday, July 9, 2010

Things that make me go hmm...

        • Here's an update on Kyle St Denis. St. Denis, like any other veteran, has an open invitation to Kelowna Rockets training camp this fall. St. Denis will battle for one of three overage spots along with Tyler Matheson, Evan Bloodoff and Geordie Wudrick. It's up to St. Denis to make sure he is medically cleared to play by doctors - outside of the Rockets personnel - after spending the majority of last season on the sidelines with concussion like symptoms. The Rockets would love nothing more than to have the 20 year-old in the lineup this season but it's St. Denis - with the help of specialized doctors - that have the final say on if he is healthy enough to play. Right now, St. Denis is symptom free.
        • When you've been in the game as long as Newell Brown has, you don't find employment. Employment finds you. The father of Kelowna Rockets goaltender Adam Brown may land a position with the NHL's Vancouver Canucks as either an assistant coach or scout. Brown's contract as an assistant coach with the Anaheim Ducks was not renewed at seasons end.
        • The summer months are often the time a couple elects to get married. In the hockey world, the summer is the only time to tie the knot. Congratulations to former Kelowna Rockets forward Josiah Anderson who got married last month. Former Rockets Troy Bodie and Blake Comeau were among the best men. Also congrats to Medicine Hat Tigers marketing magician Dave Andjelic', who also entered married bliss.
        • When one of the 22 Western Hockey League broadcasters is dismissed of his duties, it's never a good day. As the hockey season rolls along you build friendships with your fellow broadcasters and often times gravitate closer to some than others. AJ Jakubec and I go back to my first year in Kelowna when he was my colour commentator on Rockets broadcasts. Over the years we've kept in touch and I was pleased when he landed the Edmonton Oil Kings gig two years ago. The surprising dismissal of AJ caught me by surprise. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that AJ brought passion and energy to the rink when the Oil Kings took the ice. AJ was likely more upset after an Oil Kings loss than some of the players. He was also never afraid to express his dislike for a WHL official. Oh ya, that got him in hot water with the league, but you can't but appreciate the passion he brought to the game. While Jakubec's termination is disappointing, you can't keep a good man down. Jakubec will bounce back. Unfortunately for us, we likely won't see his smiling face around a WHL rink anytime soon.
        • I picked up the Kelowna Daily Courier on Tuesday. After reading it I blew my nose in it. It was that thin! For a minute I thought I was reading an old edition of the Swift Current Sun.
        • Spending a week of holiday time at home with my twin boys gave me a chance to take them to the driving range. Let me just say they are no Tiger Woods. Yet in saying that, would I want them too be? I wouldn't have said that two years ago.

        2 comments:

        bigkev said...

        why would they want Tyler Matheson as a 20 yr, one of the worst players ever on the rockets or in the whl.

        Ian Ross said...

        What I find mind-boggling is that Newell Brown is out in Anaheim and Mike Foligno is in. I realize the Old Boys Club is in full force here since Carlyle and Foligno go way back to junior here in Sudbury, but Foligno can't coach players to the next level..witness the decline of John McFarland and Jared Staal's game. If Foligno were coaching in the WHL he would be eaten alive. Anaheim and Sudbury should have engineered a trade, Brown for Foligno.