Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Kelowna's hockey community hit hard by Belak's death
The death of ex-NHL player Wade Belak has hit the hockey community hard.
Belak was found dead in his hotel Wednesday, just blocks from the Air Canada Centre in downtown Toronto.
Todd Simpson, Kelowna realtor and former NHL player, was with Belak this week participating in the taping of a new season of CBC's Battle of the Blades which airs in September.
Belak even tweeted this week that he was quote, "hanging out with his long lost brother", in reference to Simpson.
The two were teammates with the Saskatoon Blades during the 1993-94 season.
Calls to Simpson by AM 1150 News were not returned.
Belak was often seen training in Kelowna during the off-season.
- ► 2012 (236)
- Main wanting to be a pain for opponents this seaso...
- Kelowna's hockey community hit hard by Belak's dea...
- They call him 'Johnny'
- Main Camp Update
- Main camp kicks into high octane
- The strength and weaknesses heading into main camp...
- Huska applauds steps on concussions
- Big goaltender trying to make big impact
- Future on display
- Yonkman thirsting to get back in NHL full time
- NHL'ers in Kelowna prepare for training camp
- Rockets ice should be better than ever
- Rockets import pick a no-show
- Ten questions heading into Rockets training camp
- Rockets training camp dates released
- Bloodoff gives it one more shot with team that dra...
- Brown; Oiler bound
- All is not quiet in Rocketville
- Memorial Cup champ watched son at Rockets camp
- Wudrick headed overseas
- ▼ August (20)
- ► 2010 (519)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)