The Kelowna Rockets selected only one goaltender in Western Hockey League Bantam Draft in May.
The Rockets took Moose Jaw resident Thomas Spence with one of three 5th round picks.
Spence admits he too was surprised that the Rockets drafted him.
"I had no idea I was going to get drafted," Spence told me this morning before an on ice session.
"I said to myself, now that I am going to Kelowna I guess I have to cheer a little less for the Warriors now", Spence added with a chuckle.
The 6 foot 2 goaltender will play midget hockey this season in Moose Jaw before hoping to make a strong bid with the Rockets next season.
"I try to use my size to my advantage. I think I am fundamentally strong and my stick handling and passing is pretty good. I just need to work on my down low movement".
- ► 2012 (236)
- Main wanting to be a pain for opponents this seaso...
- Kelowna's hockey community hit hard by Belak's dea...
- They call him 'Johnny'
- Main Camp Update
- Main camp kicks into high octane
- The strength and weaknesses heading into main camp...
- Huska applauds steps on concussions
- Big goaltender trying to make big impact
- Future on display
- Yonkman thirsting to get back in NHL full time
- NHL'ers in Kelowna prepare for training camp
- Rockets ice should be better than ever
- Rockets import pick a no-show
- Ten questions heading into Rockets training camp
- Rockets training camp dates released
- Bloodoff gives it one more shot with team that dra...
- Brown; Oiler bound
- All is not quiet in Rocketville
- Memorial Cup champ watched son at Rockets camp
- Wudrick headed overseas
- ▼ August (20)
- ► 2010 (519)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)