Friday, August 26, 2011

Big goaltender trying to make big impact

The Kelowna Rockets selected only one goaltender in Western Hockey League Bantam Draft in May.

The Rockets took Moose Jaw resident Thomas Spence with one of three 5th round picks.

Spence admits he too was surprised that the Rockets drafted him.

"I had no idea I was going to get drafted," Spence told me this morning before an on ice session.

"I said to myself, now that I am going to Kelowna I guess I have to cheer a little less for the Warriors now", Spence added with a chuckle.

The 6 foot 2 goaltender will play midget hockey this season in Moose Jaw before hoping to make a strong bid with the Rockets next season.

"I try to use my size to my advantage. I think I am fundamentally strong and my stick handling and passing is pretty good. I just need to work on my down low movement".

No comments: