Monday, December 12, 2011

Things that make me go hmm.....


  • Welcome to Regina. No snow to report as of yet and the temperature is a nice -2. No complaints issued to Environment Canada on the first five days of the trip. Flurries are in the forecast for tonight though.
  • The Rockets had a skate this morning at Brandt Centre, home of the Regina Pats. We had one new face join the team at practice. Fifteen year-old Justin Kirkland (see above), a fifth round bantam pick of the team, was getting his first taste of what it's like to be a W-H-L player. Kirkland is playing in the Saskatchewan Major Midget League with the Notre Dame Argos this season. The Camrose, Alberta resident will be one of my featured guests on the pre-game show tomorrow night in Brandon. I am not sure how many radio interviews he has done, but Kirkland was well spoken.
  • Forward Zach Franko is looking more and more like an old school hockey player every day. The 18 year-old has tape on his nose and an abrasion on his right ear. It is nice to see him battling though checks and getting more involved in the corners. His body pays the price but he is more involved in the play and the physical scars are proof of that. I won't tell you how Franko received his ear abrasion. I will let him tell the story on the pre-game show tomorrow in Brandon. In radio, that's called a teaser!
  • One of the great personalities you run into at the arena's out here is Graham Tuer. Tuer is a long time scout with the Rockets and is a pleasure to spend time with chatting about junior hockey. Tuer is the father of Al Tuer, who lives in Coldstream and scouts for the NHL's Florida Panthers. Graham Tuer may be 'long in the tooth' but he doesn't want to slow down even though he's in his 80's. I respect the man, I really do. We had dinner with him last night and I conducted an interview with him this morning at the Brandt Centre. You can hear the interview in the first intermission in Brandon. He has nothing but good things to say about the Rockets organization and how well they've treated him.
  • I had some fun on the Brandt Centre ice once Rockets practice was over. I took my life into my own hands by hopping onto the ice with my dress shoes and fired - yes fired - some pucks into the net with my Jesse Lees borrowed hockey stick. I am sure most of the players got a laugh out of my technique, but it was nice to be out there sending a couple of pucks towards the empty net. I should have brought my skates. Then the players could have had a real good laugh! Forward Carter Rigby was doing the same thing, and when you see it up close, you get a better appreciation for the shot he possesses. The 17 year-old has to have one of the best releases on the team. He just needs to use it more often. Chuck Kobasew, Justin Keller and Jamie Benn, three of the best shooters off the top of my head, were never scared to shoot the puck.
  • After practice, several players were attempting to hit the cross bar with a puck from centre ice. Jessey Astles has, by far, the most effortless release. It is amazing the velocity of the puck when it comes off his stick.
  • I want to give props to Swift Current Broncos athletic therapist Jamie LeBlanc for his efforts while servicing two visiting teams in the I-Plex last week. The Rockets and Kamloops Blazers were both camped out at the I-Plex Thursday and Friday and LeBlanc may have been busier on our side of the rink than with his own team. I know it's part of the gig, but LeBlanc kept a smile on his face attempting to keep everybody happy. The guy deserves a bit of recognition for a job well done. Hats off to the guy they call 'Butter'.
  • It was nice to be able to watch a WHL game without actually working it. Last night the coaches and I took in the game between the Regina Pats and Kamloops Blazers. I took two things away from that game. 1) Jordan Weal is one terrific player. That won't be news to many but he was dynamite Sunday night. 2) All good teams have a stinker. The Pats played well but the Blazers didn't have their 'A' game. It happens.
  • It was nice to see Colton Jobke score for the Pats. The former Rocket received a lot of ice time Sunday night and is used on the first line power play. Just don't score a goal against the Rockets 'Jobber' when you face your old team Wednesday night. Without question I will interview him before the game.
  • Is it normal to wake up every morning in Saskatchewan with a bloody nose? Holy, dry weather!
  • Special thanks to the Rockets organization for letting me take photos of the players, both on and off the ice. This is done strictly for the fans and I hope you appreciate them. The Rockets have been a leader in the department of bring back the curtains so the fans can get a better appreciation of what life is like on the road. If you like what you see on this blog, don't thank me, thank the Rockets organization by sending them an e-mail for allowing me the access.

No comments: