Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Concussions force Adolph to retire

It is a tough decision for any major junior hockey player to make, but Kelowna Rockets forward Max Adolph is retiring.


Adolph is ending his career after suffering six concussions in three short years.

"At the time it didn't seem like the best decision, but now going to school and looking back at it, I think it was the better decision rather than risk more injuries and turning into a vegetable."

The 20 year says his family, specifically his father, was sympathetic in making the decision.

"I think he was the real reason I made the decision just because he has seen so much of it with his players and other players. He wants the best for me. Even if I want to make a comeback I could play for his team. He was always about my health, not about hockey right".

Max's father Dave is the head coach of the University of Saskatchewan Huskies.

Adolph played in just 97 regular season games and missed the entire 2011-2012 season with a concussion.

1 comment:

Jared Comeau said...

It sucks to see a guy's career end due to injuries. I think if Max needs any kind of encouragement he simply needs to look to Assitant Coach Ryan Cuthbert. Correct me if I am wrong Regan, but did his career not come to an end due to concussions as well?