Friday, May 4, 2012

Getting to know Ryan Olsen

You could sense Ryan Olsen had a smile on his face when I spoke to him on the phone from his home in Tsawwassen, BC.

The 18 year-old was happy to be joining the Kelowna Rockets after being acquired in a WHL trade earlier in the day with the Saskatoon Blades.

"I didn't know it would happen this fast. Being traded is not always a bad thing. I am excited about being in BC, close to home, playing for the Kelowna Rockets. They have a good organization with great coaches and great players".

What can Rockets fans expect from the newest member of the team?

"I bring a two-way game. I am good offensively and defensively and I am a centreman who can play against the other teams top players. I have been known to put up a few points here and there. "

Is it tough leaving an organization that will be hosting the 2013 Memorial Cup?

"I was pretty excited to be a part of that team. Obviously, it didn't work out so I know that the Kelowna Rockets have a great fan base and being apart of that...I am pretty excited to get going".

Is their pressure to perform considering you were essentially traded for the Rockets top player?

"Maybe a little bit of pressure. I thrive off pressure. I think I can help the Kelowna Rockets fill that gap. I will be expected too and I think if I play my game that it is doable".

Do you know anyone of the Rockets?

"I'm pretty good friends with Carter Rigby. I know him through the Under-16 and Under-17's so we became pretty good buddies. I know Colton Sissons from him just being a BC kid."

Other Olsen tidbits:
Age: Turned 18 March 25th. Will graduate this summer
Siblings: One brother who is 15 and a sister who is 14.
Parents Occupation: Dad is a real estate agent - Mom is a cashier

No comments: