Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Foote wants to follow in fathers footsteps

Cal Foote
A 15 year-old rookie defenceman attending Kelowna Rockets main camp this week has a parent who knows something about the game. Denver, Colorado's Cal Foote has a father named Adam Foote. Ever hear of him? Yep, Adam Foote, who played over 11 hundred games in the NHL with the Colorado Avalanche and Columbus Blue Jackets.
"Since he stopped playing and retired he has been on the bench most games. He has coached me for two years and he has helped out assistant coach this last year", the younger Foote told me this morning after the first on-ice scrimmage of Kelowna Rockets main camp.
Much like his dad, Cal Foote is a stay at home defenceman with some impressive size for a player that doesn't turn 16 until mid December.
"I like to have his tough gritty game but I like to see myself more as a two way guy. I see myself more on the offensive side than he was".
Well spoken for one of the youngest players at main camp, Foote is impressed by what he has seen both on and off the ice.
"It kind of blew my mind how awesome it is here. Just the town and how great it is....its nice. The rink here is amazing and the facility is just great too".
A second round pick of the Rockets two draft ago, Cal Foote was unable to attend rookie camp last season because of any injury.
If you watch real close this week, the number on his helmet at training camp is 52, the same digits his father Adam donned in a hockey career which will likely see him in the Hockey Hall of Fame in the not so distant future.           

No comments: